Monday, September 8, 2014

"I felt like Santa Claus."

A Phoenix Comes A-Calling (Final)

Getting past the cordon was a breeze; the police did not even bother to have a second look at me. After that she and I went to a nearby wonton noodles stall at a five-foot way. It had a small signboard that read, "Famous One-Ton Noodles from Canton". I chuckled. The words were funnier than my name. Surely their noodles did not weigh that heavy. I ordered two bowls with shrimp wonton in steaming hot soup.

While waiting for our food to arrive, she just sat on the wooden stool, browsing about her without uttering a word. There were only a few customers at this time; us and another couple at the far end. God, had we run out of topics to talk? Then noticing her sketch block lying on another wooden stool beside her, I broke our silence by asking: "Are you an artist?"

She nodded. "I've a small studio in Nanking Road." She passed me her card.

"Does your art have any specific theme?" I asked, glancing at her card before slipping it in my shirt pocket.

"Yes, nudity."

My eyes bulged like a Chihuahua's - the subject was getting interesting. "You mean nudity as in naked men and women?"

"Well, I like painting naked men more. And your butt gives me the inspiration for my next masterpiece."

"You want me to pose in the nude for you?"

"Are you a man?"

"Why, of course I am. What a silly question."

"Then what is your problem? Unless you are really a mouse ... are you?"

Our noodles came in the nick of time. My ass - pardon the pun - was saved. She must be out of her mind asking me to stand stark naked while she hung around staring lecherously at a certain part of my anatomy! The snotty bitch stopped talking and began to shovel her food in. A minute later she said: "I'm done." I glanced at her bowl. It was empty, soup and all. By golly, she was a fast eater; I was only halfway through with mine.

"Would you like to have another one?" I asked.

"Yes, please. I haven't eaten since last night."

I grew curious. "Are you on a diet?"

"No, after paying the rent, I am broke as a joke."

Perhaps it was my imagination, but suddenly I saw a piteous, fragile figure before me. The sight plucked at my heartstrings. Even though I am a stony-hearted hit-man, I am still a sucker for damsels in distress, especially a pretty one.

While she was wolfing down her second bowl, I checked out her sketch block. There was only one drawing on the first page: a very detailed picture of Shanghai Railway Station.

"I thought you said you draw only nudes?" I asked, admiring her work.

"I paint nudes; for scenery, I do it in pencils."

"I see. Is this piece for sale? It's beautiful. I'd like to buy it."

"Yeah, all my drawings and paintings are for sale. Is a dollar okay with you?"

I gave her a five-dollar note. "Keep the change."

"Oh, thank you so much!" she beamed with delight. "Wow! Five dollars! That kind of money can feed me for a month!"

I smiled. Watching her jump for joy warmed the cockles of my heart. I felt good. I felt happy. I felt like Santa Claus.


A new chapter begins on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment