Friday, September 26, 2014

Chapter Four - (4)




"W ... What's wrong?" I spluttered. "You scared the shit out of me!"

"Look over there," she said, pointing to my left. "There is a leg sticking out of the thicket and there is blood on the ground!"

"My God, you are right!" I replied, peering at the spot where she had indicated. Quickly recollecting myself, I drew my gun from my shoulder holster. "Stay where you are. I'll go and investigate."

I ran toward the body and saw a man lying face down. His blood-stained jacket was riddled with bullets. I knelt beside him, turning him over. He was not breathing. Young, short, and narrow-shouldered, his hair was closely cropped, and he got a mole below the right side of his nose. By my reckoning he had been dead for at least a day. I went through his pockets. There was a wallet containing some money and a press card.

"Is he still alive?" she asked in a nervous tone.

"Nope, this guy's deader than a doornail."

"Any idea as to who he was?"

"His name was Chen Yi-seng," I replied, looking at the press card. "I believe he was a reporter."

I got up and snooped around the area. When I was satisfied that the coast was clear, I replaced my gun. Thereafter I ran back to Suet-foong's side. "This is not a classic case of highway robbery," I said, rubbing my chin.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Elementary, my dear Suet-foong, elementary," I answered, sounding like Sherlock Holmes. "There was no sign of a struggle. His money was intact. I suspect he was killed by someone he knew in another place and his body dumped here to be eaten by wild animals."

She made a face. "That's a sickening thing to do!"

"So what else is new? Come on ... let's get back to our horses. All of a sudden the forest does not look that enchanting anymore."

We rode off silently into the evening, galloping downhill and up again, until at last we noticed lights glittering some distance ahead. Down the house-lined stony road and about fifteen miles from the city of Hangzhou, there was a hotel. I was delighted; I did not intend to go further as it has been a tiring day. Suet-foong went along with me when I suggested that we put up a night here; she was bushed too.

It was dark and stars sprinkled the night sky like lucid snowflakes of silver when we drew up outside the hotel named Travelers' Palace, a huge, grand double-story brick Victorian building with a wide arch leading to the courtyard. In the middle of the arch, reached by a flight of stairs, we saw a big open doorway; bright light was streaming out of it.

After unloading our stuff, we left our horses standing in the yard. As we climbed up the steps, I turned to Suet-foong and said, "I shall be using the name of David Li to book two rooms for us at the reception. Please remember not to mention my real name in public as I want to keep a low profile."

"Okay, brother," she nodded. "But make it one room with two beds; saves cost. This place looks expensive."

I was touched by her thoughtfulness. "Very well then, but aren't you worried that I might rape you tonight?" I said, grinning devilishly at her.

"Nah ... my little sister has come."

I was befuddled. "Huh? What? I don't get you."

"I am having my period, Dumdum!"

"Oh, lucky me," I deadpanned.


To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment