Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Chapter Four - 1



It was a hazy dawn. Swirling silver mists were veiling the streets; the dew on the green leaves was twinkling, and the air came fresh from the south. The sun had just risen above the far mountains when I reached the eastern gate of Shanghai. Suet-foong was already there, all saddled up and ready to go. Her horse was strong and powerful - a splendid, clean-limbed animal with its glistened black coat, braided mane on its proud neck, and its long tail gliding in the wind; it could give Flash a run for his money!

"You are punctual," I said, looking at my watch. It was 6:50 A.M. We were supposed to meet at seven.

"It's in the genes," replied Suet-foong. She was clad in a leather coat over a sweater and black pants - she seemed to like wearing pants. "Anyway, I have to get up early today to inform my landlady of my long absence and arrange for one of her servants to check on my studio. Luckily, she lives just a couple of blocks away. At the same time, knowing what a money-grubber she is, I paid her the next two months' rent in advance with the two hundred dollars you gave me and kept the rest inside my saddle bag - I feel uncomfortable leaving all that money inside an unoccupied shop."

"Didn't your landlady ask you where you are going on such short notice? I suspect she is a nosey-parker; all landladies are."

"Yeah, you are right, she is. I cooked up a story that I have to rush back to Xi'an today because I received a telegram informing me that my mom is seriously ill."

"You should just tell her that you are going for a holiday with the man you love. It's much simpler and it's the truth."

"Hardy ha-ha," she laughed sarcastically.

"Come on, don't be shy. Let me hear those three magical words that would make me float on air on this fine morning."

She kept quiet.

"Well?" I persisted.

"Go hang yourself."

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment