Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Chapter Seven - (2)




The sun had already ended its glory when I woke up from my slumber. Looking out through the window from my bedroom, I smiled at the white moon and the lustrous dancing stars as they illuminated the jet black sky. Somewhere in the distance, an owl hooted, awakening the nocturnal stillness. The table clock beside my bed showed it was 8:50 P.M. Holy sleepyhead, I had snoozed the whole day away!

After a shower bath, I felt refreshed. By then Suet-foong had already prepared my dinner, and what great timing; I was hungry as a wolf.

"So, you are going to kill ... err, I mean, liquidate the mayor?" she asked as I was having a second bowl of rice; the steamed fish was delicious.

"Yeah," I replied. "I've to finish him off before he gets a chance to hit me again. Today I emerged unscathed because he sent a bunch of nincompoops. I may not be so lucky the next time."

"He's not an easy target as you think. I'm sure you know that he has his own private army, his soldiers protecting him twenty-four hours a day. He stands impregnable ... invincible even!"

"Nothing is going to stop me from avenging the death of my sifu, Suet-foong. All I need is a plan to get near him alone."

"And what is this plan?"

"Err ... it's still in the planning stage."

She sneered. "Ha! In other words, you've got no plan at all!"

"Listen, smartass, if you think you have one, tell me!" I said, feeling a little bit sore ... no, correct that. I was actually feeling very sore. I am a proud bastard, get it?

"I don't need a plan to deal with the mayor. I just go for his weak spot."

"Which is?"

"Like all lecherous men, he loves beautiful women," she replied, pouring herself a cup of tea. She then sat facing me. "Get him one - the really hot stuff type. After that, killing him would be a piece of cake."

"And where do you think I can find such a 'hot stuff' as bait?" I asked between munches on my last mouthful of food.

"Here. Me."

I nearly choked to death on my rice. When I regained my faculties, I looked at her square in the eye, thinking that she was just putting me on. But she did not snicker. She did not even flash a smile. God, she was serious!

"No bloody way!" I said when I found back my voice. "It's too dangerous."

"Life without danger is boring," she replied, sounding like a philosopher. "Come on, be a sport. We would make a great team."

"I will not risk the life of my wife for my personal vendetta!" I said in a slightly raised voice; I was adamant.

Her eyes bugged. "Who says I want to marry you?"

"I am saying it now; marry me," I blurted out, although for a moment or two, I was confused as to whether or not I uttered those words.

She stared at me like a dumb ox. Finally she asked: "Why?"

"So that I can get my laundry done for free," I said in jest.

"Free, my foot - I don't come cheap!" she quipped; she was quick on the uptake.

"Name your price then."

"I am priceless."

She was. She was.

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment