Sunday, October 12, 2014

Chapter Eight - "What the heck is Plan B?" (2)


"What the heck is Plan B?"

Half an hour later, I was inside the exhibition hall in my four-eyed geek disguise. My Browning pistol was in the shoulder holster under my jacket, just in case. As expected, it was packed with people including the exhibitors, the super-rich art collectors, and a parade of models from a fashion house, many sipping from flutes of champagne. This art fair was a visual extravaganza, and the indistinct noises of people talking filled the hall to excess that everyone had to yell at each other; it was like a carnival. I groaned - just like when I was in Nanking Road, I had a phobia about the large crowd here. Before I made myself scarce, I darted my eyes across the hall and saw that Suet-foong was surrounded by a group of men; they were attracted to her like bees to nectar. What manly man would not be? She looked absolutely stunning in that sexy white cheongsam. I smiled; her stylish dress sense, her impeccable manners, and her confidence that helped her stand out from the other women in the hall, was working like a charm. Now I could only keep my fingers crossed that her seductive appearance would have the same effect on the mayor later - her task was to lure him into my room where I shall be waiting to seek revenge.

I noticed something else too: the mayor's soldiers. They were mingling with the guests. Although they were not in uniform, I could tell by their thug-like appearance and their poor wardrobe. I mean, nobody in his right mind would wear a tacky suit to attend a classy function. So the cunning mayor had exploited a loophole in the "no soldiers" rule to bring his army inside the hall. But I wonder why he did that. Was he expecting trouble? Was he expecting me?

"Now, don't jump into conclusions, you nitwit," I reproached myself silently. "He is just having a serious insecurity issue, that's all." With that thought I shrugged and headed to the lobby.

More of his men were stationed there as well. Ignoring them, I took a seat nearest to the main entrance and waited. A few minutes later, my target finally arrived with his entourage. He emerged from his black automobile - it looked like a big matchbox in four wheels to me - and waved to the small crowd that had gathered to welcome him. He was clad in a white western suit, his face was smooth and round like the moon with thick smirking lips, and his right eyelid drooped in a permanent wink, giving him an air of lasciviousness. He appeared reserved, and indeed rather standoffish, not looking directly at those who shook his hand. I glared at him like a tiger in search of prey. So this was how the bastard looked like in the flesh, I fumed.

However, the very next moment, my anger turned to deep disappointment when I saw a buxom beauty accompanying him! I was unsure whether she was his wife or mistress, but I knew at once that our carefully-laid plans had gone down the drain. As long as this sex siren who was always showing cleave stuck to him like glue, there was no way Suet-foong, no matter how pretty and glamorous she was, could capture his attention.

My sugarplum wore a face of frustration when she saw the mayor's companion. Her first reaction was to look for me. When we finally caught sight of each other, I gestured to her to go to the telephone booths near the reception counter. Pretending to make a call with her back adjacent to mine, she asked in an agitated tone: "Did you notice that bimbo with the mayor? She has got bloody udders of a cow!"

I chuckled. She certainly had a way with words. "Yeah, a man can suffocate in pleasure under them," I replied.

"Ha! You wish!" she scoffed. "Okay, what is our next move? Do we go ahead as planned?"

"No, we abort this plan and proceed to Plan B."

There was a pause. Then she asked, "What the heck is Plan B?"

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment