Monday, October 6, 2014

Chapter Seven - (1)



I had a two-bedroom house by the stream on the outskirts of Shanghai; a sparsely populated area with a nice neighborhood. Since it was very close to the city, I got to enjoy all the advantages of a cosmopolitan center, and when I came home I escaped from the noise and dust. I was just one lucky bastard who had the best of both worlds, I suppose.

Riding at breakneck speed without a halt, I finally reached my abode when dawn broke. With the saddlebags containing Lau Beng's money on my shoulder, I quickly dismounted and strode toward the front door. I was totally exhausted. The only thing on my mind right now was my bed. Also, I was anxious to see Suet-foong; she must be worried sick over my absence.

Yup, my sugarplum had moved in with me. The feelings were mutual; I proposed, she accepted. It was a straightforward deal, no fees charged, you know what I mean?

Anyway, I must have looked terrible because when I entered the living hall, I saw her sitting on the easy chair and looking at me in astonishment. "Oh, great Buddha!" she cried.

"Not even close; guess again," I replied in a bantering tone.

"What happened? You look like death warmed over!" she said, sprinting to my side. I put the saddlebags on the sofa and we hugged each other.

"I haven't slept for the past forty-eight hours," I answered. Then as if on cue, I yawned.

"That's because you are in love with me."

I was baffled. "What has it got to do with me not sleeping?"

"Well, for the first time in your life, you have found something more beautiful than your dreams."

"That's all very fine, but if I don't get some shuteye soon, my grotesque appearance is going to give you nightmares!"

I then told her all about my vengeance on the five gunmen who had killed my sifu and his faithful dog. I could tell that she was enthralled by my tale - she did not open her mouth to make a witty remark like she usually did whenever I spurn a yarn.

"You fried all five of them?" she asked at last.

"To a crisp."

"That's horrible."

"You mean about the way I liquidated those bozos?"

"No, I mean about your cooking."

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment